Welcome to Hot Springs MT

Hot Springs Chamber of Commerce

P O Box 627
Hot Springs, MT 59845



Homesteader's Days

"Homesteader's Days is an annual event in Hot Springs, and is held the second weekend in June of each year. It is a family fun weekend including street games, live music on Main Street, a two-day rodeo, food and craft street vendors, a kiddie parade on Saturday, a grand parade on Sunday, art and craft shows, and much more. Join us the second weekend in June for this traditional event which honors the original homesteaders in the Hot Springs area."


We look forward to SEEING YOU!!!!!















Hot Springs History

Year ago, century before last, Lewis and Clark identified the Indians that they were visiting with as "Flatheads".  The winter camp of the Salish Indians was on the banks of the large, Flathead Lake.  In truth, the tribe of the Flathead is Salish, Kootenai and Pend D'Orielle.   And, many, many years ago, the Flathead Indians pitched their camp of teepees close to the many bubbling springs that came up, through the earth.   They recognized the water as soothing, and curative. They called it "Good Medicine".

And so, when the Homestead Act took place in 1910; the tribes chose their allotments of lands first, and then the homesteaders were allowed to choose their plots of 80, or more acres.  From Niarada to Lonepine to Camas and Hot Springs, Homesteaders and Tribesmen alike, ranched and farmed and developed this area of the Western Flathead Reservation.

By 1910, Hot Springs (once called Pineville, due to the wide variety of pine trees in the region), had its own Post Office, and was developing into a healthy community in large part due to the many hot springs that promised health and healing.  The 28 day  cure promised life changing events, and brought commerce to the area, as many  "housekeeping cabins" were  built, along with several  grand hotels (The Symes and Alamedas are still thriving today), that  promised deluxe accommodations along with the physical improvements they would benefit from, via the hot springs.

The town of Camas was at one time more developed than Hot Springs.   By the 1920's most commerce had moved to Hot Springs, in part because the majority of the beneficial springs" existed in Hot Springs.   In the 1930's the town  boasted several  car dealerships, hair dressers, restaurants, several  grocery stores,   a movie house, a men's clothing store, a government funded/constructed bath house, with eight  tubs, two steam rooms and rooms for massage.

Homesteader Days began in 1949, at the time that the largest bathhouse was erected and dedicated by the Confederated Tribes of the Flathead Reservation. It remained active and maintained by the Tribes until the 1980's, when it fell Into disrepair and was determined safe to use.  To bridge this gap between the closed bathhouse, many areas with naturally occurring hot springs improved upon their sites. "Big Medicine" is the spot where tribal member, Leroy O'Bennick maintains the well known mud baths and hot mineral baths. There is Rose's Plunge (Rose is a Tribal Member), Alameda's and The Symes Hotel with outdoor AND indoor soaking available.

Join us as we celebrate the beauty of the reservation, (some people call it the town that time forgot... , the naturally occurring  Hot Springs and all of the PEOPLE, Indian and White, that have treasured this land and maintained it alive as a wonderful tribute to our pioneering spirits.

Norah Potts

May 5, 2012


web design
Candy Reynolds